Little Torquil

The house now known as Little Torquil was built originally in the 1920’s as the garage to Torquil.  Elsie McCorkindale loved driving, and owned one of the first motor vehicles in Trebetherick – a Talbot-Darracq – of which she was very proud. John...

Rocket House

The ‘Life Saving Apparatus House’ as it is called on a 1908 map of Trebetherick is next to what were originally coastguard cottages – now Tregawne and Upalong. Nearly 400 ships are recorded as having got into difficulties in the Camel estuary since 1618, most during...

Stepper

Ralph Barlow, a schoolmaster at Sherborne School, bought Stepper in 1937 for £1,500. It was the first house built on the Greenaway cliff by Lewis Brown of Wadebridge who was responsible for most of the houses built in that area, all of them subject to certain specific...

The Close

The area of houses at the bottom of Worthy Hill now called The Close was originally agricultural land, and known as Lower Trebetherick.  In 1885, five years before he died, Robert Stephens of Trewornon bequeathed his farm, land, buildings and share of other...

Torquil Cottage

In 1838 Cob Cottage was standing at the end of a row of 6 cottages extending down the  lane.  There was a gap and then 2 more cottages, which now are incorporated in Torquil Cottage. (extract from Mary Fellgett’s history) Elsie McCorkindale bought the land on...