Doom Bar House

Doom Bar House was built in 1934 for Mr and Mrs Anthony Jeffreys, on land that had formed part of Lower Farm, on Daymer Lane.  The builder was Lewis Brown from Wadebridge, who was responsible for many of the houses in Trebetherick; he used concrete blocks in the...

Drumtarlie

Drumtarlie was built in the late 1930s by Mr and Mrs Greenshield, who owned several acres of land to the east of Fishing Cove Field and had previously built Beniguet slightly further away from the cliff top. They had been apple farmers in Somerset. When the...

Grey Ladies

Grey Ladies was built by Ernest Betjemann, the Poet Laureate’s father, on part of a field known as Well Park, bought from Robert Darell Smythe Darell (of Trewornon) in 1918. The architect was Robert Atkinson FRIBA, OBE, who had also designed Undertown in 1928. Grey...

Higher Farm

By the early years of the twentieth century there were only three arable farms based in Trebetherick, out of the six recorded in earlier times. These were Higher Farm, at the top of the hill, Lower Farm on the lane down to the beach, and Trenain Farm on the way to...

Little Torquil

The house now known as Little Torquil was built originally in the 1920’s as the garage to Torquil.  Elsie McCorkindale loved driving, and owned one of the first motor vehicles in Trebetherick – a Talbot-Darracq – of which she was very proud. John...

Rocket House

The ‘Life Saving Apparatus House’ as it is called on a 1908 map of Trebetherick is next to what were originally coastguard cottages – now Tregawne and Upalong. Nearly 400 ships are recorded as having got into difficulties in the Camel estuary since 1618, most during...