Stepper

Ralph Barlow, a schoolmaster at Sherborne School, bought Stepper in 1937 for £1,500. It was the first house built on the Greenaway cliff by Lewis Brown of Wadebridge who was responsible for most of the houses built in that area, all of them subject to certain specific...

The Close

The area of houses at the bottom of Worthy Hill now called The Close was originally agricultural land, and known as Lower Trebetherick.  In 1885, five years before he died, Robert Stephens of Trewornon bequeathed his farm, land, buildings and share of other...

Torquil Cottage

In 1838 Cob Cottage was standing at the end of a row of 6 cottages extending down the  lane.  There was a gap and then 2 more cottages, which now are incorporated in Torquil Cottage. (extract from Mary Fellgett’s history) Elsie McCorkindale bought the land on...

Trebarbill

Trebarbill was built in 1952 by Emily Lander for her daughter Sylvia and son-in-law Roy Dingle (1915-78). Their second child Barbara was actually born in the house, only weeks after it was completed. So the new house was named after the couple’s two children, Bill and...

Trefelix

Trefelix was built by Sir John and Lady Walsham in 1927, on retirement from China.  They had been visiting Trebetherick over many years, as Lady Walsham’s sister Ursula Warren lived at Torquil with Elsie McCorkindale; there are photos of the two Walsham...

Undertown

Having stayed in the early days at The Haven, and then rented Linkside in subsequent summers, Ernest Betjemann decided in 1928 to build his own house in Trebetherick.  Undertown was designed by the architect Robert Atkinson, a golfing chum of Ernest’s – as “a last...